• 9-to-5
  • Community
  • Flexible hours
  • Hospital
  • Self-employed


  • Cancer
  • Disability
  • Mental Health
  • Multiple
  • Physical Health


  • Expression
  • Interpretation
  • Movement
  • Visualisation

Where can I go to find out more about this profession?

A good place to start is the NHS Health Careers site, as well as I See the Difference if you are interested in an allied health profession. If you are interested in nursing and live in London, it’s also worth checking out CapitalNurse. You can also find more on UCAS, the National Careers Service site and on the sites of the associations that represent the health professions.

What is the difference between postgraduate and undergraduate entry?

Mainly length and entrance requirements. You typically have to have a 2:1 or higher to apply for a postgraduate health course, and some courses require prior health-related experience. This is because they are more intensive, leading to registration as a professional in two years.

Both graduates and non-graduates can consider part-time and full-time undergraduate study, which can take between three (full-time) to six (part-time) years. Entry requirements vary, but applicants may be expected to have Level 2 Maths and English and at least 112 UCAS points (the equivalent to CBB).

What financial support is there?

From September 2020, those on qualifying health courses will receive between £5,000 to £8,000 per year to support their studies. This funding is on top of other forms of support, and will not have to be repaid. 

If you qualify for student loans, you can usually cover your tuition and maintenance through this route. This applies to both postgraduate and second undergraduate degrees in nursing, midwifery and many of the registered allied health professions.

It’s worth remembering that the amount you pay back each month is based on what you earn, and not on what you borrow.

Find out more at the Funding Clinic.


Let us know, and we’ll help you take the next step.

I'm Interested